According to Vastu Shastra, the main door of a house is not only the entry point for the family but also for energy. “The main door is a transition zone, through which we enter the house, from the outer world. It is a place from where happiness and good luck enters the home,” says Mumbai-based Vastu consultant, Nitien Parmar. “Consequently, the main entrance has been accorded prime importance, as it lets in or keeps out the cosmic energy flow that promotes health, wealth and harmony. Moreover, the main door also creates the first impression of a house,” he points out.
In this article, we share Vastu guidelines and useful tips for your house entrance door.
Know about: Toran for main door
Main door colours as per Vastu
|West||Blue and white|
|South and south-east||Silver, orange and pink|
|Northeast||Cream and yellow|
|Northwest||White and cream|
|East||White, wooden colours or light blue|
- Choosing auspicious door colours based on its direction brings happiness and good luck, according to Vastu.
- Create a welcoming house entrance by building a colourful main door. You can opt for subtle colours to set a positive environment.
- Choose soft yellows, wooden hues, or earthy shades to achieve this effect.
- Avoid using bright colours such as red or orange.
- Never use black colour for painting the main door as darker shades give rise to negative emotions like sadness, arrogance, etc.
- White colour is an excellent choice for the bedroom doors of the house. The colour will bring calmness and happiness in life.
What should be placed in front of main door?
- Nameplates: Every house should have a nameplate in front of the main door. A metal nameplate is ideal for a northwest main entrance door while a wooden nameplate can be placed in front of the entrance door. Go for nameplates with gods and goddesses decorated on them.
- Auspicious symbols: Decorate the main door with divine symbols like Om, swastika, cross, etc., and rangolis on the floor. Shanka and Padmanidhi (Kubera), Lakshmi seated on a lotus with elephants, dhatri (dwarfish nurse), cow with calf, birds like parrots, peacocks or images of swans, are beneficial, if used on doors.
- Statues or idols of gods: You can also decorate the main entrance area by keeping idols of Ganesha and Lakshmi, which will attract good luck, wealth and prosperity for the family. According to Vastu, it is auspicious to place the image of the kuldevta (family deity) on the main door.
- Decorations: Beautify the house entrance by placing an urli or a glass pot filled with water and flower petals.
- Wooden décor: A wooden door with carvings is ideal for a home entrance as wood is considered an auspicious element as per Vastu. You can also include wooden walls and ceiling in the entrance area.
- Lighting: Make sure the area around the main entrance is well-lit. Install proper lights. Go for yellow light, which resemble the sunlight and attract good energies. You can go for soft lighting option such as lamps and candles to set a peaceful ambience.
- Horseshoe: As per Vastu Shastra for house entrance, to keep evil things away and repel negative energy from entering the house, one can also hang a black horseshoe at the entrance door.
- Threshold: The main door of house should always have a threshold, (marble or wood), as it is believed that it absorbs negative vibes and allows only positive energy to pass through.
- Doormats: Also, place doormats that will keep away the dirt and negative energies from entering the house as people will use the doormat to clean their shoes before entering the house.
- Plants: Place auspicious plants near the front door of the house, such as money plant or Tulsi plant. Place a money plant at the base of the wall and give a support to allow it to cover the entire wall.
Things to avoid in front of main door
- A clean house entrance attracts positive energy. Avoid keeping shoe racks, old furniture, dustbins, broken chairs or stools, near the main door.
- Never keep a mirror in front of the main door as it can reflect the energies that may enter the house.
- Do not place any painting or artwork on the door with black colours in it.
- When installing lights for the door entrance, avoid red colored lighting.
- Make sure there is no wall opposite the main door.
know about: wooden main door design
Main door Vastu direction
The main door should always be in the north, north-east, east, or west, as these directions are considered auspicious. Avoid having the main door in the south, south-west, north-west (north side), or south-east (east side) directions. A door in the south or south-west, can be corrected by using a lead metal pyramid and lead helix. A door in the north-west can be corrected, with a brass pyramid and a brass helix, while a door in the south-east direction can be corrected, by using a copper helix.
As per the Paramashayika Mandala system, there are 32 different deities or energy fields in the outer perimeter of the Vastu Purusha Mandala. A main door on an energy field generates positive or negative effects based on the characteristics of that deity.
Ideal direction for different rooms of the house
- Living room: It should be in the northeast direction for an east-facing or north-facing house. The entrance door should be in the northwest side of a west-facing house, while it should be in the southeast direction of a south-facing house.
- Dining room: Design the kitchen and dining room area in the southeast corner of the house. Avoid the south direction for the dining room. The dining room should be in the west corner as per Vastu.
- Kids’ bedroom: Design the room for children on the west, north, south or east side of the house. However, if there is no space available in these directions, go for southeast or northwest directions.
- Bathroom: Choose the bathroom space in the north or northwest corner.
Also read all about North facing house Vastu
Main door opening direction
Main entrance doors must always open in clockwise direction. The entrance must face north, northeast, east or west direction, which is considered auspicious and promote prosperity. Main door opening in anticlockwise direction is a Vastu defect.
know about: main entrance door design
Main door positions as per Vastu
Refer to the image above, for the best direction to place your main door. 1 stands for the best position and the others are marked consecutively in the figure.
- North-east: North-east is the most auspicious for placing your main door. This direction derives immense energy owing to its exposure to the sun in the morning. It adds vitality and energy into the house and its inhabitants.
- North: It is believed that this placement can bring wealth and fortune to the family and hence, it is the second-best direction to place your main door of house or entrance.
- East: Not a very ideal location for main door of house but the east direction is said to enhance your power. It also adds to the festivity.
Read more about Main door Vastu for east facing house
- South-east: Never settle for south west entrance. Choose this direction if there is no other option.
- North-west: If there is no other option and you must have the entrance in the north direction, ensure that it is the north west entrance direction. As per Vastu, the benefits of the evening sun and prosperity can be welcomed this way.
Also read: Main gate colour combinations as per Vastu
South facing house: Vastu for entrance door
Most people prefer to go for east facing homes as they are considered auspicious. As per Vastu guidelines, one should avoid south facing homes as they are not considered auspicious owing to the belief that the south direction is ruled by Yama, the lord of death.
However, some experts believe that one direction may not be termed as good or bad. Moreover, if a house has been designed as per the Vastu principles, it can ensure positive energies and invite good luck, happiness and prosperity for the residents.
Here are some useful Vastu tips for a south facing entrance.
Rectify the main entrance defect: Draw the south part of the home. Divide it into nine equal parts (padas) starting from southeast to southwest. The main door entrance of a south facing home should be in the fourth pada, and face north or east. Alternatively, one can select the third, second or first pada. Avoid southwest direction for the entrance.
Kitchen: As per south facing house Vastu, place the kitchen in the northwest or southeast direction of the house. This will bring ample morning sunlight to the space. Besides, the southeast is the direction of the god of fire or Agni and is ideal for kitchen placement while ensuring adequate ventilation.
Bedrooms: Design the master bedroom in southwest corner of the house in a house with south facing entrance door. If there are multiple floors in the house, choose the topmost floor for the master bedroom. Place the other rooms in northwest direction.
For a south-facing plot, make sure the house plan is rectangular or square in shape. The walls on the south and west should be stronger and higher than the walls on other sides. Avoid having water pumps, car porches, septic tank, or gardens in the southwest. Plant more trees or keep plants and flowerpots in northwest corner to eliminate negative energies.
South-facing house entrance: Benefits
People from the field of public relations, media and films can benefit in their pursuits by the energy in a South facing home. Moreover, presence of planet Mars in one’s horoscope makes a south-facing house favourable.
A south-facing house can be beneficial to business owners. However, individuals engaged in offering services are recommended for this type of property. If a south-facing building is considered as an industrial office or workplace, it ensures success and prosperity.
Know about: vastu for flat
South east entrance Vastu: Is south east facing house good or bad?
As per the guidelines of Vastu for home entrance, it is better to avoid a south east facing main door. A southeast house entrance is a Vastu defect for which there are simple remedies.
- If there is a door in the south or south-west, the defect can be corrected by using a lead metal pyramid and lead helix.
- Place auspicious symbols like Om or Swastik symbols made of copper or silver materials, to ward off the negative energies cause due to the Vastu defect. It will also attract good luck.
- You can also place three Vastu pyramids. Arrange them by placing one pyramid at the top of the Main door of the house entrance. Place the other Vastu pyramids on either side of the door.
- Hang brown or dark red curtains around the south east house entrance to remove the Vastu dosha.
- Another Vastu remedy for this house entrance Vastu dosha is to place 9 red carnelian gemstones facing southeast direction.
- Repaint the main door of the southeast entrance of the house in bright colours that denote the fire element such as orange and red.
The presence of Vastu defect in the southeast house entrance area can lead to health issues for the women in the household. Also, it can cause conflicts or misunderstandings in relationships and makes people short-tempered. Following the remedies mentioned above can help eliminate these Vastu doshas and create a positive atmosphere in the house.
Main door size as per Vastu
The main door size as per Vastu should to be the biggest in the house. This is significant in Vastu Shastra as it will bring good luck, fortune and health for the family.
It is better if it comes in two parts rather than one big unit. Ensure that the doorway is well-spaced and away from corners.
Smaller exit for house: Another essential point to note when designing a house is that the exit door must be smaller in size compared to the main door.
Vastu tips for home entrance : Dos and don’ts
Sunlight and adequate lighting at the main door entrance
A main door that lets in ample sunlight in the morning is regarded auspicious. As per Vastu Shastra, the northeast direction is ideal for the house entrance door. The main door of the house should receive adequate sunlight. If it is not possible, you can use yellow lights in the area which is representation of the positive energies of the sunlight.
Always have a bright light at the entrance but avoid red-coloured lights. As per Vastu rules for flats and modern houses, the entrance should be well-lit in the evening.
For wealth and prosperity
Place a glass pot filled with water and flower petals, near the main door or house entrance, as suggested in Vastu. Since water is a bad conductor of negative energy, it will help you in keeping your home and family members healthy. You can also stick Lakshmi feet stickers at the entrance of your home. Moreover, these items work like decor for home entrance.
Main entrance door decoration
Decorate the entrance with green plants, if there is space. Torans are also good as main door decorations. Animal statues, trees without flowers and other figures or even fountains and water-elements should be avoided near the main door.
A traditionally decorated main entrance door is an excellent idea for a Vastu-friendly home design. Keep the area well-lit. Avoid painting the door in dull colours.
See also: Which plant is good for home entrance
Decorative hanging bells as part of main door wall design are effective in inviting positive vibes into your home. Rangoli designs on the entrance floor not only welcomes Goddess Lakshmi and guests at home but also gives positive vibes, radiates happiness and wards off evil. The rangoli can be designed using coloured powder, turmeric powder, limestone powder, Geru (brown earth powder) flower petals, or rice flour.
Positioning of the main door
Always have the main door or house entrance gate on the same side, as per Vastu principles. The main door should open at 90 degrees, without any obstacles in the way. Ensure that it opens in a clockwise direction. Ensure that the hinges are oiled regularly and the door accessories are polished. There should not be any broken or chipped wood, or missing screws at the entrance. Extra nails must be removed.
A two-shutter main door opening from the inside and clockwise is recommended in Vastu.
You must not place the main door in the corner of the house. The corners of the house must be left empty, for the wellness of the inhabitants. Make sure there is no abandoned structure or a dilapidated building facing the main entrance door. The house entrance door must never directly be aligned facing a neighbour’s house entrance door.
Nameplate and Vastu
Placing stylish name plates is one of the best main door wall design and decoration ideas. Always put up a nameplate. A metal nameplate is recommended, if the door is in the north or west direction. Use a wooden nameplate, if the door is in the south or east direction. Place it on the left side of the main door, as it is said to be more auspicious than the other sides. You can design nameplates with auspicious symbols or images of gods and goddess inscribed on it.
Know more about West entrance Vastu in our article on west facing homes.
Doorbell for the main door
Place the doorbell at a height of five ft or above. Doorbells with jarring, brassy or high sounds should be avoided. Opt for a doorbell with a soothing and soft sound, to enhance the positive energy of the home.
Quality of wood to be used in the main door
As per Main door vastu principles for constructing houses like flats, it is necessary that you choose the right material. Use only superior quality wood and note that the height of this door should be greater than other doors in your home. You can go for quality steel if you wish to include a shutter for the entrance.
Main doors and bathrooms
Bathrooms should not be placed close to the main door. Opt for soft colours such as light yellow, beige, or earthy shades such as wood. Stay away from bright colours like red or orange.
See also: Right colours for your home, based on Vastu
Placing the idols at the main door
It is considered auspicious to place idols and portraits of Gods and Goddesses at your entrance. As per Vastu, you can keep idols and photos of Ganesha and Lakshmi at the entrance of your home, to welcome good luck, wealth and prosperity. The main door should be embellished with auspicious symbols like symbols suchas Kalash with coconut on it and Swastika which signifies Lord Ganesha.
Mind your steps
If you have steps at your entrance, an odd number of steps is believed to bring good fortune. Make sure the steps or stairs leading to the house entrance is higher than the approach way or pathway.
Number of doors
Make sure that your home has even number of doors. As per Vastu, the north and east section of your house should have more doors than south and west corners.
However, the doors should not be ten or in multiples of eight. One should be aware of the rules when counting the doors. The main gate of the house or outhouse doors must not be counted in the total number of doors. Further, two flanged doors are considered a single door.
A house entrance may be without doors. If the area is covered overhead, forming an enclosed passage, such area is counted as doors. Doors that are designed to partition the areas inside a house but do not connect the ceiling are not counted in the total number of doors.
Some homes have more than one main entrance door at the front. However, having a single entrance door is believed to bring more wealth. Two doors in the house entrance ensure a comfortable life for the inhabitants, while three doors in a line, parallel to the main door, are considered harmful and should be avoided. Similarly, there should not be more than three doors at the main entrance as it leads to problems.
Number of doors and their significance
|Three doors||Leads to enmity|
|Four doors||Helps extend life|
|Six doors||Good childbearing|
|Eight doors||Growth of wealth|
|Eleven doors||Causes destruction of good|
|Twelve doors||Growth of business|
|Thirteen doors||Reduces lifespan|
|Fourteen doors||Boosts wealth|
|Fifteen doors||Causes destruction of good|
No other doors in line with main door
The house entrance should not be aligned with other doors such as the house main gate. This is important to avoid any shadows from falling on the house entrance door. Moreover, this will also keep negative energies and dust from entering the house.
A window can be positioned in front of the house main door.
No shoe racks
Most often people also keep the shoe racks close to the main door of their house for convenience. While it is convenient, it should be avoided. The same holds true for dustbins and broken furniture near the main door. Avoid hanging things behind the main door.
Keep dustbins away
Placing a dustbin near the house entrance will bring negative energies in the house. This will also impact the finances and prosperity of the family. Make sure the doorway is clutter-free and do not keep dustbin around the area.
Check the layout of the property
In big cities, you do not have much control or say about the layout of your home. However, if you are buying a property, check that the main door does not face another home’s entrance. This can create problems. Shadows cast by another person’s main door or even a plant, is not good for your house.
Nature and kind of doors
The home entrance decor of your house great increases if you go for aesthetically designed doors. However, you must avoid sliding doors at the entrance of your home. Even circular-shaped doors must not be used. They may look fashionable but do not abide by the rules of Vastu. Stick to simple, superior quality door for the entrance. Wood is a preferred choice and it is also said to correct any dosha.
Importance of the threshold
It is also recommended that there should be a threshold at the main door. Do ensure that the house is not on the same level as the ground. This signifies the positive environment inside the house, as against the negative energy that is outside. The threshold acts as a barrier for the entry of bad vibes and also prevents loss of wealth. If there are stairs, these should be in odd numbers.
You can design the threshold with a combination of concrete and wood. You can create the stone studded threshold area that will protect your finances from flowing out.
Place a doormat
A doormat is important. When you dust the feet before you step inside the home, it signifies leaving all sorts of negative energies outside the home. Go for a doormat with red colour that is appealing and regarded auspicious.
Placement of septic tanks
A septic tank should never be placed at the entrance of the main door.
Lighting near the main entrance
It is also advisable that your main entrance should be well-lit, just the way you want your mood to be lit up. An excellent idea for entrance door decoration is installing trendy light fixtures. Use warm lights and never go for dark, dingy entrances. It is both unwelcoming and distressing. Install yellow lights for the entrance area as it denotes the rays of the sun, which is auspicious.
The foyer is also important as per Vastu. A well-decorated foyer space,as per our philosophy does wonders to the home and its inhabitants. Unfortunately not everyone in urban areas today can afford such homes due to lack of space. However, if you can afford the ideal positioning of a house is one where a narrow passage leads into a wider space – that is your home.
Remove defective doors
Check for dents or scratches on the main door, as these are not advisable. Cracked doors can lead to loss of respect. If the house entrance door is damaged or has cracks, make sure you immediately replace it with a new door. Broken, cracked or chipped doors are considered as Vastu dosha that can affect the finances and overall well-being of the family members.
Avoid intersecting roads
Intersecting roads denote a clash of ideas, which can cause chaos. Thus, if one considers the Vastu Shastra guidelines, a main door should never face intersecting roads as such a placement can invite negative energies inside the house. Moreover, the entrance doors should be designed at a higher level than the street or at least at the same level.
When it comes to the decor for home entrance, placing mirrors is quite common. However, it is essential to keep the Vastu guidelines in mind when placing mirrors or some such items in the entrance hall. Never place a mirror opposite the main door. It will cause the energy to bounce back.
See also: How to use mirrors in home decor
Vastu for main entrance door and its visibility
Both, Vastu Shastra and Feng Shui principles suggest that the main door should be prominent, visible and easily identifiable. Adding your house number or even your name are good ways to make the main door entrance stand out. It is also better to have a simple nameplate on the door, rather than going in for engravings for ornamentation.
Remember that the main door should be seven ft in height with a width of at least three ft. Big doors bring in more energy into the house. So, avoid short doors. Also, all the other doors in the house should be shorter in height. The back door should not be used by owners as the main entrance. It can be used by your domestic help or other staff.
See also: Vastu Shastra tips temple home
What material is best for the main door, according to Vastu?
A wooden door may be the most auspicious for the main door in any direction. However, if your main door is in the south direction, the door should have a combination of wood and metal. Similarly, if the door is in the west, it should have metal work on it. A main door of house in the north direction should have more silver colour and if your main door entrance is in the east, it should be made of wood and decorated with limited metal accessories.
Door with wooden engravings
Go for an attractive traditional wooden door with carvings. You can choose to adorn the main door of your house with auspicious symbols, rangoli on the floor, design a threshold, etc.
Wooden arched door
Opt for an arched wooden door for your house entrance. Make sure to keep the entrance area clean and clutter-free. It should be well-lit. Enhance the look of the main door area by placing decorative flower pots and statues for an inviting look.
Brass door handle
Brass handles on wooden doors is a good combination for south-facing main entrance doors, according to Vastu.
Silver-coloured doors are recommended if you have main door on the north side. Go for any metalwork on main doors facing west. In an east facing door, opt for a wooden door with small metal furnishings.
Arched main door
An arched door gives a classic appearance to your home. You can go for an arched door made of wood. Adorn the front door area with auspicious symbols, plants and suitable lighting.
Main door with attractive door handles
There are a variety of door handles available these days. You can either go for contemporary door handle designs or opt for antique door handles.
As per south facing house Vastu rules, brass handles for wooden doors is an ideal choice for the main door for a south facing entrance. If it is a west facing door, use metal door handles. For home entrance facing east, Vastu recommends a combination of wood and metal while silver is suggested for north facing doors.
Wooden door carvings
Wooden door carvings are an ancient tradition. You can give a contemporary touch to your main door with wooden carvings of gods and goddesses. You can also incorporate designs like om, swastika, and cross. As per main door Vastu, this will attract good luck and positive energies in the house.
Floral decoration with beads
Place attractive flower torans on the main entrance to invite positive energies inside your house. Consider a toran with 108 Panchmukhi Rudraksha beads, which is beneficial.
Vastu tips for decorating main door area
- Cleanliness, especially around the main entrance, attracts positive energy in the home.
- Placing auspicious symbols is a home entrance décor idea you can follow while attractive positive energies.
- Decorate the main door with divine symbols like, Om, swastika, cross, etc., and put rangolis on the floor, as they are considered auspicious and invite good fortune.
- According to Feng Shui, hang 3 old Chinese coins tied with a red ribbon on the door handle, from inside, for good luck . It symbolizes wealth inside the house.
- Place a Buddha statue at the house entrance that will attract good luck, happiness and prosperity for the family members.
- Adorn the main door area by placing a bowl of water with flower petals that will enhance the ambience while inviting purity and positivity in the house.
- Hang auspicious paintings in the living room near the entrance door. You can place paintings like flowers, beautiful scenery, waterfall, or sunrise.
- Hang wind chimes to invite good luck and prosperity in the house.
Toran for main doors
According to Vastu, toran on the main door is auspicious and it attracts good fortune. Toran is derived from the Sanskrit term ‘Torana,’ which means to ‘pass.’ The main door torans play a significant role in balancing energies of the house and not allowing evil energies inside the house.
- Hang toran is made of mango leaves and marigold flowers for the main door to attract wealth and peace. Change it when leaves and flowers dry.
- Toran designed with 108 Panchmukhi Rudraksha beads helps in spiritual as well as material success.
- Toran made from leaves of Ashoka drives off evil energy.
- The main door can also be decorated with toran made of seashells to remove Vastu dosha and bring good luck.
Today one gets fancy torans and bandhanwars made from cloth, gemstones, pearls, shubh labh toran with tiny bells, Kalash and swastika design etc. Opt for torans in auspicious colours such as yellow, orange, red and green.
Vastu Shastra remedies for south east and south west main door
A south east entrance as per Vastu and south west entrance direction is considered a Vastu flaw. Here are a few simple remedies but it is always better to consult a Vastu expert and seek advice for the main door Vastu dosha.
Hang dark red or brown curtains facing the southeast entrance of the house. According to Vastu Shastra placing 9 red carnelian gemstones at the gate facing the southeast direction helps remove dosh in the property reduce the negative effects of southeast entrance homes. Place one Vastu pyramid at the top of the centre of the main door entrance, the other two pyramids on either side of the door.
To reduce the ill effects of southwest entrance houses, paint or place stickers of Om, Trishul, and Swastika symbols on the sides and top of the main door. To attract positive energy, keep plants and hang wind chimes around the main door. Also, one can paint Gayatri mantra or paste a small sticker of the mantra on the main door. Place a Panchmukhi Hanumanji (standing posture) with his weapon (gada) in the left hand on the centre top of the main door.
A simple solution to clear the Vastu defect is painting the east corner walls in darker shades. This will help resolve financial problems, health issues, professional and personal life imbalances. Go for dark red shades for reviving the lost stability of family.
Vastu remedies for main door defects
Doors opening anticlockwise is a Vastu defect. Place three copper pyramid clockwise arrow at the entrance to rectify the defect.
The main entrance doors of the two houses should not face each other states Vastu. Swastika drawn with red kumkum on the main door removes this Vastu Dosha from the house.
According to Vastu, a kitchen should not face the main door of the house. To reduce the Vastu flaw hang a small crystal ball between the main door and the kitchen door.
Elements that remove Vastu defects of the main door
We list some elements that help eliminate Vastu dosha from the main door of your house.
Pyramid for good luck
As per Vastu Shastra, Pyramids help improve the flow of energies by eliminating negativity and creating a positive ambience.
If you don’t want to keep pyramids, consider crystal balls as an alternative. As per Vastu Shastra, they help amplify energies and can be kept for boosting positive energies in the house. Make sure to keep these items clean and in a clutter-free area.
Fish tanks or aquariums are considered auspicious as per Vastu Shatra principles. Keep it in the northeast area of the living room to eliminate Vastu defects.
As per Vastu Shastra, horseshoe can be placed in a house to invite good luck. You can hang it in the main door with its ends facing upwards to allow positive energies to flow smoothly.
Keep a small amount of sea salt in the corners of the house. This helps cleanse the air and eliminate negative energies.
Vastu tips for home entrance locks and keys
According to Vastu Shastra for home, the entrance to the house attracts and welcomes positive energy, wealth and prosperity. Ensure that lock of the main door functions smoothly.
If the main door faces east use a copper lock. For the west-facing main door, iron locks are best as the area is represented by Shanidev. For North use brass locks. If the main door is in the South opt for a lock made of five metals that is ‘panch dhatu’.
Locks and keys that are rusted or broken should not be used in and should be thrown immediately. As the keys are made up of metal to balance the energies go in for wooden key chains. Avoid key chains of skulls, pistols, knives, scissors etc shapes. Opt for auspicious symbols such as sun tortoise, flowers, elephant statues, etc. The keyholder should be kept in a secured place, in the master bedroom ideally in the north or the east corner of the room. Always place keys in a proper key stand. It should not be kept on the dining table, above the shoe rack as it can attract negative energy.
See also: Vastu tips for bedroom
Main door Vastu tips when renovating your house
- To ensure that your main door entrance is welcoming, paint it in Vastu-compliant colours only.
- Ensure that the main door is not in the negative zone.
- Ensure that the hinges are smooth. Relationships among family members tend to be strained, if the main door is creaky.
- Never use rusted locks, which make sound, on the main door. Either replace such locks or oil them regularly.
- The main aim of Vastu Shastra is to boost the energy inside the house. So, it is ideal to avoid an arched main door, as it can alter the flow of energy.
- Avoid self-closing doors.
- If the house has more than one floor, the doors should not be placed one above the other on each floor.
Also check out these main gate design ideas
Main door Vastu for north facing house
North direction is ruled by the god of wealth, Kubera. Having a main door facing towards north is considered auspicious and beneficial for many people, especially those in banking, financial services and running their business. However, one should adhere to the Vastu rules when choosing a north facing house or constructing the house, including the placement of various rooms. Here are some tips to follow:
- Living room: Northwest is the ideal direction for the living room.
- Bedroom: The bedroom in a north facing house should be in the west, northwest, south, and southwest directions.
- Kitchen: The best direction for kitchen is the southeast or northwest direction.
- Staircase: The staircase should be in the south, west, southeast, southwest, or northwest directions. Avoid building the staircase in the north or northeast direction. Make sure the stairs are in the clockwise direction.
The location of the main entrance, for a north-facing house, must be on the outer wall on the north side.
Auspicious energy fields (pada) for north facing house entrance are Mukhya, Bhallat and Soma. Avoid energy fields that produce adverse effects. These include Roga, Naga, Bhujag, and Aditi.
The location of the main entrance, for a north-facing house, must be on the outer wall on the north side.
Auspicious energy fields (pada) for north facing house entrance are Mukhya, Bhallat and Soma. Avoid energy fields that produce adverse effects. These include Roga, Naga, Bhujag, and Aditi.
Main door Vastu for east facing house
East is the direction of the rising Sun and mostly considered an auspicious direction for home entrance as per Vastu. East facing properties are ideal for multi-storey apartments, according to Vastu experts. Jayant and Indra padas are suitable for the main entrance door in east facing homes.
Northeast main entrance door Vastu
A main door of a house facing the northeast direction, also called as the Ishan corner, is considered to be auspicious and brings good luck for the inhabitants. A northeast entrance attracts new opportunities as per Vastu. The direction is ruled by Diti, a deity considered very generous.
Here are some Vastu tips to follow for the northeast-facing house entrance:
- Make sure to have a large and well-lit entrance area to keep negative energies at bay.
- Avoid having a staircase or bedrooms in the northeast corner.
- Design the master bedroom in the southwest corner. Avoid any bedroom in the southeast direction.
- Avoid a kitchen in the northeast direction. The southeast or northwest directions is recommended for designing the kitchen.
Northwest main entrance door Vastu
According to Vastu Shastra, a northwest-facing home may be perfect for people seeking success, fortune, and good health. However, one of the effects of such homes on a male family member could be that they may have to spend time away from home.
How to remove north west-facing main door Vastu dosha?
North is an auspicious direction for house entrance. Northwest facing main door is a Vastu dosha. The direction falls under the Roga and Naga Pada.
- Decorate the door with auspicious symbols like Swastik, Om and Trishul.
- Make sure there are no obstacles around the entrance area.
- Place three Vastu compliant brass pyramids on each side and at the top centre.
- Keep a Chandra Yantra for a north west facing house.
- Clean the space every alternate day by keeping crushed sea salt to remove Vastu dosha.
Southwest main entrance door Vastu
The southwest direction is ruled by planet Rahu, considered to be one of the fiercest planets. This direction is often regarded as the direction of evil. When considering a house entrance, one should choose an auspicious direction, such as the northwest, which is linked to the God of wealth. A southwest entrance may attract wealth but also misfortune.
West-facing main door direction as per Vastu
According to Vastu Shastra, a west facing entrance of a house may not be suitable for female members of the family. Such homes may be ideal for young members of the family.
According to Vastu, the beneficial pada for west facing main door are Sugreev, Pushpdant and Varun. Avoid Duawarik, Asur, Shosha and Papyakshama pada for the entrance door in west facing homes.
Which wood is best for main door as per Vastu?
Wood is regarded as an auspicious material to design a front door, according to Vastu Shastra. The main door should be made of high-quality wood. One can choose varieties, like teak wood or honne wood. Avoid using wood from coconut or peepal trees.
How to remove west-facing main door dosha?
People do not usually consider west facing homes as auspicious as north or east facing homes. Hence, if you have a west-facing property, make sure to rectify the Vastu Doshas. Choose Vastu recommended materials and colours. Opt for blue or white colour for main door.
Place crushed sea salt at the entrance to remove Vastu dosha. The entrance door for a west facing property should ideally be in the central west or north-west corner. Avoid south-west direction. Keep crushed sea salt or brass pyramids to eliminate the Vastu dosha.
Vastu tips for office main door
Follow Vastu principles when designing an office main door. Vastu recommends rules to ensure the five elements of nature – water, earth, air, fire, and space are in balance. As per Vastu, office main door must face east or north direction.
When looking for plots for an office, factory or any commercial space, go for Shermukhi plots as these are wider in the front and narrower at the end. The land must be located near well-travelled roads. An office with north-facing, north-east-facing or north-west facing direction attracts positive energies. Do not place any object close to the main entrance of the office as it can obstruct the flow of energies.
Which direction is good for house entrance?
The main door/entrance should always be in the north, north-east, east, or west, as these directions are considered auspicious. Avoid having the main door in the south, south-west, north-west (north side), or south-east (east side) directions.
Can a laughing Buddha be placed at the main door?
Place the laughing Buddha facing the inside of the house, diagonally opposite or facing the main door. The energy entering the house from the main door is welcomed by the laughing Buddha and unwanted energy is cleansed.
What colour front door is lucky?
The main door colour as per Vastu must be chosen, depending on its direction, as explained in this article.
Can we have wall in front of main door?
As per Vastu Shastra, there should not be a wall directly in front of the main door. However, there can be another door that leads to a room.
Why should one keep a doormat near the main door?
According to Vastu, a doormat near the main door removes the dust and dirt from the shoes; it also absorbs the negative energy entering the house. Opt for natural fabric for the doormat and clean it regularly. For the main door use, the rectangle-shaped doormat as it covers the entire door space.
Is south east facing house good?
The house entrance facing south east direction is a Vastu defect.
Where should one Shubh Labh be placed at home?
Shubh Labh is an auspicious symbol that you will find outside the main door in many households. Shubh means goodness and Labh means benefit. As per Vastu, the Shubh Labh symbol should be placed on both sides of the main entrance door of the house, which attracts good luck and prosperity and eliminates negative energy.
What direction of front door is lucky?
A main door in the northeast, north, east or west directions is considered ideal. Avoid the southeast direction as it is associated with fire god. Similarly, the southwest direction must be avoided for the front door as it is the entry of negative energies and can lead to struggles and misfortune.
(With inputs from Harini Balasubramanian)
|Got any questions or point of view on our article? We would love to hear from you. Write to our Editor-in-Chief Jhumur Ghosh at email@example.com|