A water fridge filter is an important component for ensuring clean and healthy drinking water. This article will explain the process of changing various types of refrigerator water filters, its importance, proper care and maintenance and additional tips.
See also: How to clean a dishwasher?
Why change your water fridge filter?
Source: Pinterest (Bored Panda)
- Water quality: Safe and clean drinking water is paramount for your health and well-being.
- Contaminant removal: Water fridge filters are highly effective at removing impurities, ensuring better water quality.
- Filter degradation: Over time, filters can lose their effectiveness, potentially allowing harmful substances to pass through.
How often should you replace your refrigerator water filter?
- Daily use: If you use the water dispenser or ice maker daily, it is recommended to replace the filter every six months.
- Intermittent use: For households with less frequent use, you can extend the replacement interval to one year.
- Preventive maintenance: Regularly replacing filters prevents impurity buildup and maintains optimal filtration efficiency.
Changing different types of water fridge filters
Twist-on water fridge filter
Source: Pinterest (Best Buy)
- Locate the filter: Find the filter’s position inside the fridge.
- Prevent drips: Place a towel underneath to catch any potential drips.
- Remove the old filter: Gently but firmly pull out the old filter.
- Install the new filter: Replace it with a new filter, pushing it straight into the housing.
- Lock it in place: Turn the new filter 1/4 turn clockwise to securely lock it in position.
Push-in water fridge filter
- Find the filter: Locate the filter’s position inside the fridge.
- Prepare for drips: Use a towel to catch any drips during the replacement process.
- Release the spring: Release the spring mechanism holding the filter in place.
- Remove and replace: Take out the old filter along with its cap. Place the cap on the new filter.
- Secure the new filter: Insert and push the new filter into the housing until it locks securely.
Other types of fridge filters
- Complex replacements: Filters located in various positions may require professional assistance due to their complexity.
- General process: The replacement process typically involves disconnecting the old filter, installing the new one, and reconnecting supply lines.
- Refer to the manual: Always consult the owner’s manual for model-specific instructions.
Water filter on the bottom of the fridge
- Locate the filter cap: Identify the filter cap’s location below the lowest door of the fridge.
- Prepare for drips: Place a towel or cloth on the floor beneath the filter to catch any potential drips.
- Unscrew the cap: Twist the filter cap counterclockwise until it’s free from its mount.
- Remove the old filter: Pull out the old filter and its cap.
- Prepare the new filter: Install the cap onto the new filter.
- Insert and secure: Insert the new filter, ensuring it reaches the mounting point. Twist the filter and cap clockwise while applying gentle inward pressure until it stops turning.
Maintenance of refrigerator water filter
- Occasional cleaning: To maintain water quality, periodically clean your filter.
- Cleaning process: Soak the filter in a mixture of water and cleaning solution.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: If your filter requires activation before installation, carefully follow the manufacturer’s provided instructions.
DIY water fridge filter replacement vs professional water fridge filter replacement
- DIY simplicity: Most filter replacements are straightforward DIY tasks that do not require professional assistance.
- Cost consideration: The cost of a new refrigerator water filter typically ranges from Rs 500 to Rs 2,000, making it an affordable maintenance item.
- Professional help: Consider seeking professional assistance in challenging situations, especially if the old filter is stuck.
What happens if you do not change your refrigerator water filter?
If you do not change your refrigerator water filter, it can lead to reduced water quality and potentially harmful contaminants in your drinking water.
What is the life of fridge water filters?
The life of a refrigerator water filter typically ranges from six months to one year, depending on usage and the specific filter model.
What do fridge water filters remove?
Refrigerator water filters can remove contaminants such as chlorine, sediment, lead, and certain chemicals, providing cleaner and better-tasting water.
How do I know if my fridge water filter is good?
You can know if your refrigerator water filter is good by checking the manufacturer’s recommended replacement schedule and looking for signs of reduced water flow or a change in water taste.
Do all fridges have water filters?
No, not all refrigerators have water filters. It depends on the make and model.
Where are fridge water filters located?
Refrigerator filters are typically located in the grille at the bottom of the fridge, inside the fridge, or at the back.
How many filters does a refrigerator have?
Refrigerators commonly have one water filter, but some models may have two if they have a separate filter for the ice maker and water dispenser.
How do you remove a water filter cover?
To remove a refrigerator water filter cover, press a release button or follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific fridge model.
How do I find my fridge water filter?
You can usually find your refrigerator filter either inside the fridge, in the grille at the bottom, or at the back of the appliance, depending on your fridge’s make and model.
Which filter is often used in refrigerators?
Activated carbon filters are commonly used in refrigerators to remove impurities and improve the taste and odour of water and ice.
|Got any questions or point of view on our article? We would love to hear from you. Write to our Editor-in-Chief Jhumur Ghosh at firstname.lastname@example.org|